Thursday, October 12, 2006

Tar and Feather the Motorists


Traffic on El Camino Real
Originally uploaded by richardmasoner.
As if there weren't already enough angry people in Austin, now the bicyclists are upset that drivers who kill cyclists are getting off to easy. So now there's a campaign to make sure lawmakers crack the whip on said drivers. I'm not sure about details, because I was getting ready for work when I heard this on the news, but I did hear something about the campaign arising from a fatality that occured on Highway 360, right in the middle of Austin.

I'm not saying I advocate running cyclists over (I really do think it's sad), and cyclists have every right to be on crowded highways, but don't you run a risk when you do certain things, like ride your bicycle on a highway jammed with SUVs, designed without bike lanes?

What I wonder is, who do these cyclists think motorists are, exactly? A bunch of murderers out cruising to Kinkos, hoping to slaughter a cyclist or two on the way?

And I'm not sure what the punishment is now, but I'm thinking, in addition to lifelong guilt and nightmarish memories, the motorists are probably getting more than a slap on the wrist.

To my knowledge, only state and federal lawmakers can change these types of punishments. So, do cyclists think that senators are cool with the fatalities? Like, they roll into, say, San Antonio, for some interim conference and crack jokes about how fun it will be to run cyclists off the road once they get back to Austin? "Oh those ignorant cyclists," they say. "Let's make sure we don't punish whoever hits them so that the bloodbaths will continue. BWAH HA HA HA HA!"

This begs the obvious question: Why don't cyclists ride on country roads (or at least not highways)? Is that too simple? Or does that lack the thrill of not knowing if an Escalade will hurl you head first into your final breath? Just curious.

2 Comments:

At 7:30 AM , Blogger Tim Stewart said...

Sometimes on Burnet there'll be a cyclist in the lane ahead of me, and it's frustrating because there's no bike lane and these guys don't go more than 20 mph. So traffic stacks up behind them until people can switch lanes and get around 'em. Obviously we can't just knock them out of the way with our fenders. I'm not a fan of having such different "vehicles" share the same lanes on a busy road.

I just saw this the other day: cyclists with helmets get hit more often. Apparently this is a case not only of correlation, but actual causation. Article here, but long story short: drivers give less room to helmeted cyclists because drivers think those guys are "pros" and don't need much room to work with. Unhelmeted and women cyclists were given the biggest berth.

Austin has plenty of bike lanes. Surely cyclists could do their commuting and riding without interfering with fast traffic?

 
At 2:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm agree with you, Tim. They have space enought to drive in the roads, but drive in the highway... I think they shouldn't have to do that; they are going to create more accidents. That's it!

Bye, chilindrin!

Huh? Huh?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home