Nose Picking: Is It A Sin?

Sara broke the news to me the other day that picking your nose can make you sick - not because you get germs on your fingers, but because you get germs in your nose, the ultimate make-out spot for them. Now, I was really resistant to believe her, so I posed this proposterous proposition to another friend of mine who confirmed what she had said. So it has to be true.
First of all, I have to wonder if the benefit outweighs the consequence here (could you endure two colds a year for countless hours of picking your nose).
Second of all, if picking your nose ultimately harms "your temple," is it a sin? It's snot listed as one in the Bible, but I'd think anything that potentially damages your body is sinful. If it is a sin to pick your nose, is it still even if you wash your hands before and after doing the deed? I'm not sure I'd go on picking my nose (if that were indeed a habit of mine) if I had to wash up before and after. And what if you do it in moderation? And is shaking hands a sin? That can cause illness. Maybe that's why we're supposed to greet each other with a holy kiss. Did Jesus pick His nose?
GAH! Can I not even pick my nose without feeling guilty? What are your thoughts on this?
GAH! Can I not even pick my nose without feeling guilty? What are your thoughts on this?
At any rate, here are some facts and illustrations you may or may not know about colds and cold viruses, along with some commentary:
Cold viruses grow mainly in the nose where they multiply in nasal cells and are present in large quantities in the nasal fluid of people with colds.
The highest concentration of cold virus in nasal secretions occurs during the first three days of infection. This is when infected persons are most contagious.
Cold viruses may at times be present in the droplets that are expelled in coughs and sneezes.
Nasal secretions containing cold viruses contaminate the hands of people with colds as a result of nose blowing, covering sneezes, and touching the nose.Also, cold viruses may contaminate objects and surfaces in the environment of a cold sufferer.
Young children are the major reservoir of cold viruses and a particularly good source of virus containing nasal secretions. (This is why you should NOT have children. Very dangerous.)
Experiments have demonstrated that a cold virus readily transfers from the skin and hands of a cold sufferer to the hands and fingers of another person during periods of brief contact. Also, cold viruses readily transfer to the hands as a result of touching contaminated objects and
surfaces. (This is the sad part:)
Virus on the fingers is transferred into the nose and eye by finger-to-nose and finger-to-eye contact. Virus deposited in the eye promptly goes down the tear duct into the nose. Once in the nose, a cold virus is transported by mucociliary action to the adenoid area where it starts a cold. In some instances, cold virus, which is expelled into the air in coughs and sneezes, may land in the nose or eye and cause infection.
The end.


9 Comments:
Use a kleenex! DUH!
I can see that my wife is changing your life with her wisdom. She changed my life after we got marry too, but it was in a different way...
:)
Huh? Huh?
Glad to see that you downsized the post to just one.
"You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friend's nose." I'm afraid that's the sum total of the advice my parents gave me about nose-picking.
I, for one, am a vocal advocate of nose-picking. Me, I think of it as "raking up the leaves." Really it's just one more body chore, like paring the fingernails or Q-tipping the belly button. What's the big deal? When I'm stopped at a red light, I look around, and we're all doing it and trying to look like we're scratching an itch or adjusting the nosepiece of our glasses. Come on: it's a social fiction that nose-picking disappeared along with cholera and the bubonic plague. It's alive and well, my friends: alive and well.
I've never heard Tim "the vocal advocate" say anything at any time about nose picking.
You don't hear my vociferous apologias for n.-p. (as we say) because you're always reading that dumb book on mackerel or tuna or whatever.
Don't you know *anything*, Tim? Bubonic plague is alive and well in this country. Don't you watch Grey's Anatomy? Gah!
I know enough to sign my name! :-)
Could you stop picking your nose and write another post?
We need more action and new stories to keep living...
Huh? Huh?
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home