Sunday, October 15, 2006

One Small Baby


So last night, my cousin had this baby. Yeah, it was wild. He arrived three months before his due date, 2 lbs. 4 oz. Cole Gray Daugherty. There were some complications during the pregnancy, but I don't think anyone expected him this soon. Something about the placenta tearing away from the wall was expediting the labor. We're not sure why that happened yet.

What breaks my heart is that nobody can hold him while he's in there. My cousin said she can put her hands in there and touch him, but she can't really caress him or put much pressure on him at all. I know this gets to her already. I can't blame her. But I think all in all, they're all blessed to have each other, and I was blessed to be around for it.

The freaky part was the contractions. I'd never seen anyone having them before. They were 10 minutes apart when I got there. I kind of cringed every time I saw her tense up for one of them. Then they started getting sharper and more frequent. It was quite excruciating to watch. Not to sound so, um, yeah, like righteous, but yeah, I wanted to take some of those contractions from her. It seemed like too much for one person to take.

He was born at 11:38 last night, and was on a respirator as of this morning. He should be off it soon. He'll have to stay in an incubator, maybe until his original due date, but other than that, he seems fine.

Anyway, that kid is smaller than a loaf of bread. Check out his face in proportion to that man's hand. I think probably his nose is the size of the guy's fingernail. Wild. Little Loafy.

2 Comments:

At 12:21 PM , Blogger b-hart said...

as a former premmie, incubators aren't too bad. it's the stunted growth that used to go hand-n-hand that's the real bummer. i'm the only grandson under six feet...but it does always put me front and center for family pics. so i got that going for me, which is nice!

newborns are pretty resilient. the loaf will be in my prayers tonight...i do hope everything works out all right. (that wasn't meant to rhyme, it just happens from time-to-time--egads!)

btw: you've got mad skills on the keyboard...

 
At 12:53 PM , Blogger Tim Stewart said...

Praise God they're both alive!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home