Sunday, September 10, 2006

Capitol Days Are Gone

My now ex-coworkers showered me with attention on my last day at work the other day. (By "showered," I mean "gave." By "attention," I mean "breakfast, a pie and a card"...but whatever. I can be dramatic if I feel like it. It's my blog.) To thank them, I'd like to make a tribute blog to them...please imagine some inspirational music in the background here.

"It smells good in here," I exclaimed that morning. And then I turned the corner. Orange juice! Hashbrowns! Sausage/bacon and cheese sandwiched together by little pancakes! Straws! Could this day get any better?


Why yes, and it did.

They passed a card around (in plain view - it was really funny) and they all put little notes in there for me. So I'm writing little notes back to them. We're passing notes. I'm going to leave out the names and let them fight for who gets what note.

..., thank you for being a good deskmate and not chatting my ear off all day. We talked at appropriate times, I think. Don't you? I'm going to miss your wit, your insights and your coffee.

..., I'm going to be lost now, not knowing what's up with TomKat. And how am I going to know what the dems are thinking? And whose CDs am I going to burn? You're a smart woman, btw, and a better proofreader than me, but that's okay.

..., I never told you these two things, but a) thank you for always getting ice, and b) I thought it was a good idea that you brought peanut butter and crackers. I wanted to do the same, but I didn't want to be a copycat. Plus I'd have eaten all the peanut butter in one day.

..., my walkin' and prayin' buddy. We had some good times, did we not? You always picked up my spirits. Your joy for life gives me something to aspire to. I hope you always keep that spirit. You're a gentle soul and I'll miss you lots.

..., with the strong backbone, a woman I both admire and fear (no, really, I'm just now in my closet writing this), firm but understanding, honest but sweet. I guess you're sort of the yin and the yang of the bunch. You always understood me - or were you just pretending? Either way, I'd be friends with you on the "outside," too. That's how much I think of you.

..., I wish we'd have gotten to be around each other more. I did enjoy the "good mornings," and the few conversations we had. I think you've got a great personality, and I know God's going to bless you. We didn't get to say good-bye in person, but I'll come back and see you. Cuz I really like you.

..., thank you for my hippie gifts. One of them is on my kitchen bar, one of them is on a desk and one of them is holding up my remote controls. Thanks for always keeping the office full of laughter. Oh, and it's totally cool that you teach tai chi to old people. Hats off to that!

..., always a source of entertainment. I'm going to miss your little stories and your crazy antics with our boss. You need to keep on that project, girl. You've got somethin' special! Ah, I'll miss you!


Goodbye, my little corner of the capitol. See ya in the funny papers!

1 Comments:

At 9:49 PM , Blogger Tim Stewart said...

For some of these people, those notes may be the nicest things that people have told them in a long, long time. I'm so glad you shared your heart (and mind) with them on your last day. You leave big flip-flops to fill . . .

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home