Mojo Whatball?
Aren't old people funny? I've started going to this nursing home in town to play and sing some hymns. I went Saturday and performed for about an hour (too long - poor residents couldn't escape). I met a few of the residents afterward, and as I was leaving, I met one lady outside the room. This was the conversation:
Lady: Is that a banjo or a guitar?
Me: It's a guitar. I guess you weren't in there watching?
Lady: I wasn't invited...it's probably because we were in Florida.
Me: Yeah, probably.
Lady: Even if we weren't in Florida, we probably still wouldn't have been invited. We probably wouldn't have come anyway.
Me: Well, I'll be here next week if you change your mind.
In other news, last night was my first mojo kickball experience. Mojo kickball is a lot like kickball, with a little mojo. Basically, there can be up to six balls on the field. And if you're a runner/kicker who gets out, you become a "chaser" whose main goals are to render the balls out in the field useless by touching the fielders who are holding them and to guard the runners while they run bases so that nobody can tag them. Those are the basic rules, but it's a little more complicated. Here are a few snippets from the game, from my perspective, which should illustrate my delicate grasp of the concepts:
1. Upon catching a grounder out in the field: I'm running around, shouting, "I have the ball! What do I do?"
2. Upon hearing the announcement "mayhem" and seeing players from both teams break into kamikaze sprints: I cut through the field and back around to my spot where shortstops normally are (there are no positions in this game) wondering aloud, "Why are we running around so much?"
3. Getting elbowed in the cheek while running bases - by my own teammate.
4. Trying to tag my own team member.
5. Getting tagged from behind by an opponent, turning around to see who it is, and shouting, "YOU! (we don't know each other's names)" This outburst did not go unnoticed by the resting team, and so more than once, some stranger shouted "YOU!" at me.
Sara's camera is full of pictures. I hope I can cut a deal with her and snag a couple of them. I'll post one (that she doesn't use, of course).
Tonight is the first soccer practice. I'm only a little bit scared. I canceled my gym membership. I'm going solid sports, baby.


2 Comments:
The only thing I can say is that "mojo" is inappropiate for a sport. In Spain mojo with an "n" at the end, "mojon" means excrement. As you can see, it would be better exchange it for other different. Hug? hug? :b
hug. excrement. Two words that don't go together.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home