About as Similar as Danny DeVito and Arnold
That's pretty much the story. We went into Tom Thumb (Nadege took a picture of it, so amused that we have a grocery store named after a tiny fictional man.) yesterday. Things went considerably normally until we got to the checkout line. The guy bagged my items up and gave me careful instructions about swiping my credit card, choosing the appropriate credit/debit option, asked me if I wanted cash back...you know, pretty much the same exact thing the machine was asking me at the very same time. While he was schooling Nadege in the same fashion, he asked if we were twins.
At this point, we take a quick look at each other to figure out why. Well, we're both caucasian, both in our young 30s, roughly the same height, give or take a couple of inches........we both have teeth, we both smile, we both have two eyeballs. That's pretty much where it stops, as you can see.
So we looked back at the guy and said "no." He paused and continued ogling us, mystified. The awkwardness was broken with even more awkwardness when he replied "spooooooooky."
How do you respond to this? HE WAS THE SPOOKY ONE! Should we have said, "No, not really. You see, she has dark hair and I have lighter hair. She has brown eyes and I have green eyes. She looks French and I look like an Irish alcoholic." Instead, we just let the spookiness linger in the air until finally - sweet finally - Nadege was instructed to sign her name on the pin pad. Thank goodness for that bit of direction, because who knows how she would've proceeded with that transaction.
By the way, I do realize that two out of my last three posts have been about grocery store experiences. Life is slower in Fort Worth.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home